The photographs in this section of our Web site have been made from slides shown in a talk given by Jean M. Mihalyka at the GHOTES Conference in June of year 2000 on the Eastern Shore of Virginia.
The Arlington Foundation, Inc., was established in 1997. Shortly thereafter, the Foundation purchased the 7.3 acre mansion site. The house was built in about 1670 on the banks of Old Plantation Creek in Lower Northampton County. John Custis II named it "Arlington" for the small village in the Cotswold hills of Gloucester, England, his ancestral home. Late in the 18th century his 3rd great grandson, George Washington Parke Custis took the name of his ancestral plantation on the Eastern Shore for his property on the Potomac near Washington, D.C. This (Washington D. C.) house became the property of his daughter, Mary Ann Randolph Custis, who married Robert E. Lee. The plantation surrounding the house later became Arlington National Cemetery.
Another archeological dig is planned for 2001.
|>>> Advertise Here <<<|