MCV/VCU Medical Student
202 McRae Hall, 600 N. 10th Street, Richmond, VA 23298 (804) 692-6084
PO Box 355, Onley, VA 23418 (757) 787-1188
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE
MCGUIRE VETERANS AFFAIRS MEDICAL CENTER
Clinical Practicum in Clinical Laboratory Sciences Aug. 2000 - Dec.2000
Performed duties of a Clinical Laboratory Scientist in Training.
Extern/Pathology Jan.1998- Apr. 1998
Observed and assisted pathologist in autopsies, biopsies, specimen grossing, and microscopic examination of histological slides. Attended many multispecialty clinical review boards.
MEDICAL COLLEGE OF VIRGINIA
Emergency X-ray dept. Volunteer Spring 1998
Processed exposed X-ray film and assisted in general radiographic procedures in the acute care and trauma room settings.
SHORE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
Pathology and Laboratory Assistant Dec.1997- APR. 1998
Collected blood for laboratory testing and observed pathologist in routine specimen examination.
PAID WORK EXPERIENCE
Temporary Lab Services, Inc.
Phlebotomist / Lab Tech., Jan. 2001 - May 2001
Performed temporary laboratory services, including phlebotomy and routine hematology in various laboratories throughout the Richmond metropolitan area.
EASTERN SHORE AMBULANCE
Ambulance Driver, May. 2000 - Aug. 2000
Transferred non-emergent patients to healthcare facilities.
VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH UNIVERSITY / MEDICAL COLLEGE OF VIRGINIA (1997-2001)
Degree: Bachelors of Science Awarded May 2001
Major: Clinical Laboratory Sciences / Pre-Medicine
GPA 3.90 Summa Cum Laude
VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH UNIVERSITY / MEDICAL COLLEGE OF VIRGINIA (2001-Present)
Degree: Doctor of Medicine
Nature Conservancy - VA Coast Reserve in
Brownsville, VA (Jan. 1997 – May 1997)
-- Field Research on the Endangered Delmarva Fox Squirrel
UNIVERSITY / MEDICAL COLLEGE OF VIRGINIA
DEPARTMENT OF PATHOLOGY – PALEOPATHOLOGY (May 2002 – July 2002)
-- EBV in Precolumbian Mummies
SKILLS AND CERTIFICATIONS
* Computer Skills: Windows 3.1/95, MS DOS, Word Perfect, Microsoft Excel, MS PowerPoint, HTML language programming, Internet research (MS Explorer and Netscape), FTP, Eudora, TELNET, MS Outlook, computer component installation and configuration management, and troubleshooting
* Emergency Vehicle Operations Certification II
* Healthcare Provider CPR
* Virginia Certified EMT-B
* Certified Medical Technologist (ASCP)
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES AND POSITIONS
* Onley Volunteer Fire and
Rescue - Firefighter / Driver / EMT-B / Webmaster (5 yr.)
* Boy Scouts of America (Troop 303) – Assistant Scoutmaster (3yr.)
* VCU Honors Program (4 yr.)
* Golden Key Honor Society (4 yr.)
* Chrysalis [religious organization] - Logistics Coordinator (5 yr.)
* University Council Representative – MCV Campus (1yr.)
* VCU/MCV AMA Student Chapter – Secretary (1yr)
* Medical Student Government – Secretary (1yr)
* VCU/MCV Emergency Medicine Student Assoc. – VP / Treasurer/ Webmaster (1yr)
* Membership in ASCP, AMSA, Student Family Practice Association, Wilderness Medical Society.
AWARDS AND HONORS
* Boy Scouts of America -Eagle Scout
* School of Humanities and Sciences and School of Allied Health Professions Deans Lists
* The National Deans List
* VCU College of Humanities and Sciences Academic Award
* The Chemical Rubber Company Outstanding Freshman Award
* Onley Fire and Rescue - Ambulance Driver of the Year for 1999 and 2000
* Onley Fire and Rescue – EMT of the Year 2001
* A.D. Williams Award - School of Allied Health Professions - Clinical Laboratory Sciences 2000-2001
* 5th in the nation on American Society of Pathologist Board of Registry exam for Medical Technologist
* Award of Merit - Accomack Co. Department of Public Safety 10/04/2001
Self motivated individual.
Clean, neat, and organized.
Able to use verbal skills to communicate in a clear, confident, and enthusiastic manner.
Always maintains a positive attitude towards work.
Able to receive suggestions and recommendations in a positive way.